Spring Maintenance Tips For Your Myrtle Beach Home
Spring is FINALLY here! And with it comes not only the lovely warmer weather but also an influx of pollen making this the perfect time to get started on your annual spring home maintenance routine.
Unfortunately, too many homeowners believe “spring maintenance” is all about the cleaning. And sure, although spring cleaning comprises a large chunk of any spring home maintenance routine, home maintenance should be more specifically aimed at various structures, appliances, and systems within the home that are, arguably, just as important.
To help you keep the value of your investment and properly care for your Myrtle Beach home throughout the seasons, our experts have shared their top ten list of home maintenance tasks to complete this Spring.
Top 10 Spring Home Maintenance Tips
- Switch Ceiling Fan Directions- During the hot summer months you want to change your fans spinning direction to be counter clockwise. This allows air to flow downward providing you a cooler feeling.
- Service HVAC Systems- Clean filters provides a more comfortable environment for you and your family. If you leave your filters dirty, your heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems will have to work harder increasing monthly utility costs. This is a task should be scheduled monthly- schedule a reminder in your phone and don't forget!
- Clean Gutters & Downspouts- Your gutters protect your roof and home by directing rainwater away. Clogged gutters will open your homes up to potential water damage and it’s likely you won’t notice the issue until you need an expensive repair.
- Clean Your Dryer Vent- Lint sometimes escapes the lint trap making its way into the dryer vent. This can increase drying time drastically and also be potential for a house fire.
- Vacuum Your Refrigerator Coils- The coils on your appliance conduct the hot air from inside the unit. They will perform less efficiently if they are coated with dust and dirt.
- Check Exterior Caulking & Seals- The cool winter air can crack and harden the caulk around your windows, doors, and showers. Even the hot weather can damage seals over time. Inspect them and replace as necessary.
- Fill Propane Tanks- Get ready for Spring barbeques and cook-outs by preparing for the grilling season and take your propane tank to get filled! Did you know your grill’s propane tank should be filled at 85% level and weigh 35 pounds when filled?
- Pressure Wash- Clean the exterior of your home, decks, driveways, fences and other outside surfaces that have now been coated with that awful layer of yellow-green pollen. Pressure washing your exterior surfaces not only improves your property's curb appeal, but also helps maintain and protect your investment.
- Prepare for Hurricane Season- There are many important factors to properly preparing for Myrtle Beach’s hurricane season from June thru November. Arguably, the most important piece of preparing your home is having your roof inspected by a qualified professional, such as Monarch Roofing. Your roof poses the largest potential threat for damage and is one of the most important investments you can make in your home. If you delay having your roof checked or repaired, you could be facing serious water damage issues the next time a storm hits. Read more on the impact of quality roofing on your home and your maintenance expenses here!
- Landscape- This is a natural for spring home maintenance. Cut back and trim all vegetation and overgrown bushes from structures. Limbs and leaves can cut into your home’s paint and force you to have that side of the house repainted. A little trimming can save a lot of money and time.
Make sure to use a quality cleaner specifically made for wood floors. Also make sure to use water sparingly as it accumulates moisture over time and will void some warranties on engineered flooring. Want to know more? Contact our home building experts!
Our Team Is Here
Spring is a great time for a refresh, no matter big or small, so take advantage of this beautiful season and get your home looking and feeling its very best!
If you are ready to revive your surroundings, embark on a new project, or prepare to list your home for sale, our Real Estate team of professionals are here to help! Our experts can help you determine which projects will add value to your investment and then help market your home to a targeted group of buyers looking for homes just like yours. Contact our team today for more information!