Go Green! 5 Tips For A Greener Home
Get Inspired to Go Green!
Happy St. Patrick's Day! It feels like the perfect time to discuss one of our company’s core principles: BEING GREEN. As a Myrtle Beach custom home builder, we believe in building and construction practices that go beyond industry standards to design homes that are both sustainable and energy efficient. Lowering our overall impact on the environment is a team effort so we’d like to share 5 ways you can reduce your effect on the earth starting in your own home whether you’re buying or building!
5 Tips For A Greener Home:
- Smart Home Automation- The many technology conveniences of the modern home allow you to easily reduce the consumption of excess energy by monitoring a variety of functions and appliances within your home. This is an excellent tool to help manage and change wasteful consumption behaviors while cutting down your utility bills to maintain an eco-friendly home. Smart home automation is designed to learn your preferences or be programmed to manage whether you are there or not. This includes thermostats, lighting controls, security, and more.
- Energy Efficient Appliances- From laundry to cooking to making the home a comfortable place, the appliances we use in our households account for a large percent of our monthly or annual energy costs. ENERGY STAR-certified appliances will save you money on operating costs by reducing energy use without sacrificing performance. ENERGY STAR appliances use over 30 percent less electricity or fuel than a typical appliance of that type.
- Reduce Water Use- Water is one of our most valuable resources and saving water also saves energy. While we can physically reduce unnecessary use of water, there are plenty of ways to update your home to resolve this issue as well. As we talked about earlier, many modern appliances are also designed to use less water with most using 45% less water than your typical washer saving you more than 3,000 gallons of water each year! Plumbing fixtures that meet the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) criteria for water efficiency and performance use will have a WaterSense label. This means that the toilet, showerhead, or faucet uses 20% less water than federal requirements. WaterSense products have saved nearly a billion gallons of water to date. Consider replacing older toilets, showerheads, and faucets with WaterSense products.
- Tankless Water Heaters- On-demand tankless water heaters are a great way to reduce the amount of energy that is wasted to run the plumbing in your home. Tankless water heaters are smaller, easier to repair, more durable, and last twice as long as storage water heaters. By using fewer natural resources, tankless water heaters cause less of an environmental disruption in addition to less carbon emissions and pollution.
- Better Products- Keep in mind that technology extends past the tablets and TVs in your home. It also includes the processes that are used to produce materials such as flooring, cabinets, and countertops. By using recycled goods and non-toxic substances, they greatly reduce the impact on our environment as well as improve the air quality in your home.
Living Dunes, A Sustainable Smart Home Community
CRG is dedicated to leaving an environmentally friendly footprint with all construction and design projects and our new community, Living Dunes, is no exception! Living Dunes of the Grande Dunes embodies CRG’s founding ideals, designed for sustainable, healthy, and smart living.
Green Features At Living Dunes:
- A Natural Gas Community
- HERS Rated
- Energy Efficient LED Bulbs
- Rinnai® Tankless Gas Water Heater
- 2x6 Exterior Walls
- LOW-E Doors and Windows
- Energy Monitoring Systems
- 15 SEER-Rated HVAC System
- Elmwood Fine Custom Cabinetry
- Quick Tie System and Tall Wall Sheathing
- Spray Foam Insulation In Exterior Walls, Attic & Garage Ceiling
- Low-VOC Paint Coatings
Not only do Living Dunes homeowners benefit from living an eco-responsible lifestyle in their homes, the neighborhood includes a green community design with access to a plethora of natural amenities including walking trails, green spaces, and 10+ acres of lakes. The community location on the North end of Myrtle Beach is within walking distance of everyday necessities lessening the need and distance of automotive transportation and reducing emissions. CRG and Living Dunes are committed to sustainability, quality, and the growth of our local community.
Our Experts Can Help
Whether you’re thinking GREEN for your existing or new Myrtle Beach home, there are many ways to make your household more energy-efficient & environmentally friendly. Our team of GREEN home experts can help! The list of design and technology options go far beyond this list... Contact us today to discuss details on products and processes that can help you reduce the use to save energy and money.